[ale] File ownership

Stan.Hearn at ipst.edu Stan.Hearn at ipst.edu
Sat Jun 6 14:12:49 EDT 1998

I'm not sure how to set the owner except by the way you mentioned, but you
can set the group by setting the Set Group ID on the directory.  After
that, anything placed in that directory will have it's group changed to the
group of the directory.

ABC is a directory
chmod g+s ABC

The permissions will show a 'S' or 's' where the group execution bit would
normally be indicated in a long directory listing.  'S' means that the
execution bit is not set -- 's' means that it is -- along with Set Group ID
bit.  drwx--S---

Here's the excerpt from my man page "If a directory has the set group ID
bit set,  a given file created within that directory will have the same
group ID as the directory"

Hope this helps.

STAN