[ale] Printing problems

Nick Lucent nlucent at mindspring.com
Sat Jun 6 02:29:16 EDT 1998

I just switched from slackware to debian, because I wanted a little easier
upgrade path w/o having to use a gui for all the configs (I hate using X
if I dont have to, but I digress =)
Anyway, I originally installed LPRng for the print daemon, read the howtos
but they only covered lpd, so I uninstalled LPRng and installed lpd, since
the only things I print are directions/notes etc. and I dont need anything
special. Well I read the howtos, and I set my printcap up exactly how the
printcap in the howto is setup because Im using a deskjet 500 which is
what they use in the howto. Well, I set up the printcap and filter, and
when I cat file > /dev/lp1 it prints 2 staircased lines then hangs, when I
do lpr file, it puts it in queue but never prints. Heres a dump from lpc

Panic:~# lpc
lpc> status dj
dj:
        queuing is enabled
        printing is enabled
        no entries
        no daemon present
lpc> start dj
dj:
        printing enabled
        daemon started
lpc> status dj
dj:
        queuing is enabled
        printing is enabled
        no entries
        no daemon present
lpc>

For some reason it says there is no daemon running, but when I do pidof
lpd it shows it running. I get the same results use lp instead of dj.
Ive tried killing kerneld on the thought maybe kerneld was unloading it
immediately after it loads but no luck.
Im running kernel 2.0.34, anyone have any ideas? Im stumped

Nick