[ale] Dial up Login

Bob Kruger bkruger at mindspring.com
Fri Jul 17 08:48:28 EDT 1998

At 08:28 AM 7/17/98 -0400, you wrote:

>I have done something like this, but the dialing in process was done by a
>RAS server on Windows NT.  But once dialed in the acted just as a node
>connected to the ethernet network.  The SAMBA box was running as a domain
>master and people were mostly dialing in with win95 machines.  They could
>map all the drives, in fact did so automatically on dial in.  As they did
>when they were in the office.

Interesting.  Did the actual modem answer happen with the NT machine, or
with the Linux box running SAMBA?

>I am about to try the same project at home (this time without the NT RAS).
>I am a bit unsure about logins over the modem with the LINUX server but all
>in all everything should be about the same.  If I can add any advice let me
>know.  I can answer some questions if you owuld like just fire away.

I think the first thing to do is to get mgetty running on the Linux system
here (now that Samba is running properly).  After that I am a bit in the dark.

Possibly a post in the Samba newsgroup will help..

Regards - Bob Kruger