[ale] IP addresses

Michael D. Ivey, RHCE ivey at gweezlebur.com
Tue Jul 14 22:57:07 EDT 1998

On Wed, Jul 15, 1998 at 12:28:08PM +1000, denethor wrote:
> Hi all. I have a very confusing question to ask. I hope that I explain
> myself.

Not confusing at all...you'll get many answers, I'm sure.

> Currently I have a business registered with internic, called
> dragondesign.net. The web page is currently being hosted at an isp
> called NETEZY.

I assume (and I can check, if you need more information) that NETEZY
is also hosting your DNS (domain name service).  DNS is what maps
names to numeric ip addresses.

> I also have a server at work, which is connected to the internet,
> through our work isp. It has an ip address. This server that I am using,
> is a mudserver, ie I have a mud running. The server also has a name,
> (which was asked for when I loaded up linux.) I put in
> mudserver.dragondesign.net. It also asked for the ip address it would be
> on. It is 203.56.64.25.

Just because the machine thinks its name is mudserver.dragondesign.net,
the rest of the world has no way to know that.  It needs a DNS entry.

> Now the question I am asking is, when you say load up Zmud, and try to
> connect to mudserver.dragondesign.net, it says can't find ip address,
> but if you put in the ip address, you log straight into the mud.

Right...like I said, they have no way to know that the name points to
the IP.

> I would like to have it so that if you put the server name into the
> connector, it does a host name lookup, finds the ip address, and then
> vwalllaaa, you are logged into the mud. Do I have to register the mud
> server with a Domain Name? or can the ip address be placed in free of
> charge with either netezy or APR (my work isp)

You need to ask whoever hosts DNS for you to add a record for the
mudserver...they should do that free of charge.  You do NOT have to
register each individual host with the InterNIC.

For more information, snag the O'Reilly book on DNS...or try and
find some sysadmin web pages on DNS.

HTH.  HAND.

/mdi

--
 Michael D. Ivey, RHCE | require('std_disclaimer.pl');