[ale] RedHat 5.0 to 5.1 upgrade HELP

Gary S. MacKay garym at accnorwalk.com
Wed Jul 8 14:49:36 EDT 1998

I have tried to upgrade via FTP and via CDROM but can't get either to
work.

setting:
I have a 486-66 w/16mg ram and an HP pclan NIC card. Works great under
RH50. I have e-mail,
netscape, etc. working fine.

1st try:
I downloaded and created the boot disks for RH51. Fine. Boot and select
FTP method up install and it
fails to find my NIC. Strange since RH50 found it without any problems.
I even tried not probing and
specifying the parms. (ie. io=0x300,irq=11) and it still won't find it.

2nd try:
I downloaded the whole RH51 and burned a CDROM. (I used a Win95 machine
to burn it). All of the
filenames compare perfectly when looking at it under Win95. When I mount
it in my RH50 machine, the
filenames are, for lack of a better description, 8.3 filenames like DOS
uses. When I boot from the
floppy and select CDROM as the method of install, it locks up. When I
press alt-f3 or f5 to cycle through
some screens, I see where it mounted a /tmp/hdb device and then blew up
looking for a file.

- Gary