[ale] Modem suggestions wanted

Scott D. Anderson sdandrsn at mindspring.com
Sun Jul 5 16:12:02 EDT 1998

I'm new to Linux and so it took me a while to figure out why the
US Robotics Winmodem I got as a gift works fine from my Windows 95 partition
but not from my Linux partition.  As everyone else knows, Winmodems don't work
under Linux.

So, I need to fix this and I'd like some advice.  (I'm running RedHat 4.2 on
an old 486 box.)

Does anyone have any suggestions for a 56K modem that works well under Linux
and installs easily?

Do you suggest that I replace my Winmodem with a new modem or simply install
a second modem?

If replacement is better, can you suggest modems that will also run well and
install easily under Windows 95?

Do people think upgrading to a newer version of Linux will make this problem
any easier?  In other words, are there more modems available for Redhat 5.0?

Thanks for your help.  I will summarize any replies for the list.

Scott

--
Scott D. Anderson
sdandrsn at mindspring.com