[ale] web server

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Fri Jul 3 09:30:12 EDT 1998

denethor enscribed thusly:

> Hi all. When I add a new user to my linux box, I create the new user
> without any problems. My question is this. What directory do they use to
> place the html source code files in, for them to have a web page. is it
> user/home?  I noticed this directory has a cgi-bin dir, that is why I
> thought it would be this directory. Also, what else do I have to set in
> order for other people to view the creators home page..

	I'm not totally sure of what you are asking but I'll take a shot...

	If you have the Apache Web server installed and running and have
the public_html feature enabled (default) then all a common user has to
do is place his html files under ~user/public_html and those files will
be visible under the http://server/~user URL.  That would become their
personal "home page".  No further action required on your part.  The
web server (most others as well as apache) interpret the '~' as an
expansion to the users home directory plus the configured public html
subdirectory.

	Where I'm confused is where your are talking about a user/home and
a cgi-bin directory.  The httpd home directory has a cgi-bin directory
for storing scripts and their should be another subdirectory for your
server's document tree (any URL http://server/something where something
does NOT begin with a tilda '~').  Your common garden variety user will
not have a cgi-bin directory (and you do NOT want your average user creating
cgi-bin scripts!).

> thanks heaps

> denethor

	Mike