[ale] What to do w/kernel.rpm

Zephaniah E. Hull lodi at mindspring.com
Thu Feb 5 05:51:18 EST 1998

On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, Zephaniah E. Hull wrote:

> I do have one question, why use the RPM at all?

I'm not sure. I would think it may be more convenient to some. I used it
because it came with my RedHat deal. I can't compare, I've never used any
other package for the source tree (tar.gz?).
I suppose the advantages of using RPM for anything else can still apply.
Unsure of what they may be besides convenient installing, uninstalling,
verifying files, and whatever else RPM is good for...
I don't know too much about this. So, I have a few questions also:
Do you use RPM for anything else? Would the advantage(s) of a binary RPM
be different that for a SRPM?

I use RPM for two main reasons:
All the stuff that came with my original installation were on RPM. And it
helps me keep track of the programs I have and stuff.

Regards,
Ezra

Oh, one more note, I put a type in my original message:

> Zephaniah E, Hull
> On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, <Ezra Lee> wrote:
>
> > Hey, how goes it?
> >
> > I think the best way to do this would be to unpack the rpm with glint or
> > command-line (rpm -i kernel-2_0_32-2_src.rpm; it's in man rpm).
> > Afterwards, the source tree should be in /usr/src/linux/. From there,
> > follow Linus's directions.
> > I'm not sure of this, but I think the only deal with the rpm, is that it
> > contains the source and dir info.
> > Like I said I'm sure, and others could be more confident on this, but it's

                    ^ I meant to write unsure.