[ale] Swap Limited to 130Megs?

Matt Shade mshade at mindspring.com
Tue Feb 3 22:15:47 EST 1998

--------------F5D888EC22215991DA54235E

Sorry I can't give you a technical reason for not being able to create such a
huge swap space, but I did want to ask why so big? Basically, you're only
using it for swapping out from memory that excess amount of the total of your
running programs. If running multiple copies of the same program, you don't
really double or triple the amount of memory used, since your shared libraries
will exist only once. So you'd have to be running something like 30 or 40
progs (or more) at the same time.

I've heard 2 good rules of thumb: Use ps to see the amount of memory each prog
will use, then add them up and fudge a couple meg. That should be about the
total memory+swap you would need. An easier one is to just have a total of
about 64meg memory+swap.

But, hey, if that's what you're doing, you must have a reason.

Matt

--
     __        _______________________________
    / /                                       |Matt Shade (RCE)
  / /__ / /_ _/ North American Response Center|mss at atl.hp.com
 / / / / /_/ /  20 Perimeter Summit Boulevard |Matt Shade /HP-USA,om41
/_/ /_/ /___/   Atlanta, Georgia  30319 /USA  |Phone: 404/T 648-3076
     / /       _______________________________|Fax:   404/  648-1755
    /_/

--------------F5D888EC22215991DA54235E

</pre>
<HTML>
Sorry I can't give you a technical reason for not being able to create
such a huge swap space, but I did want to ask why so big? Basically,
you're only using it for swapping out from memory that excess amount of
the total of your running programs. If running multiple copies of the same
program, you don't really double or triple the amount of memory used, since
your shared libraries will exist only once. So you'd have to be running
something like 30 or 40 progs (or more) at the same time.

<P>I've heard 2 good rules of thumb: Use ps to see the amount of memory
each prog will use, then add them up and fudge a couple meg. That should
be about the total memory+swap you would need. An easier one is to just
have a total of about 64meg memory+swap.

<P>But, hey, if that's what you're doing, you must have a reason.

<P>Matt

<P>Robert L Harris wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>I have a redhat5.0 machine.  I can't get a swap
partition that'll
<BR>run bigger than 130Megs, even if I specify # of blocks.  did
<BR>I miss something?
<BR> </BLOCKQUOTE>

<PRE>--