[ale] Several questions

Michael D. Ivey ivey at realminfo.com
Sat Dec 26 18:38:45 EST 1998

On Sat, Dec 26, 1998 at 05:51:51PM -0500, Michael B Golden wrote:
> soon as it finished the first time, it started again. Whenever I turn on
> the printer in linux, it tries to finish printing it. It won't stop even

as root, try:
lpq
to list the files in the print queue, and then
lprm
to delete the files in the queue

> 	Is there any way, with multiple hard drives, for linux to think
> they are one? For example, be able to split a file across both drives,

look into raid...it's not the easiest to do, but shouldn't be too hard
for you.  make sure and do it with a 2.1.* kernel, as the raid support
is MUCH improved...

> When in linux, I access them from /DOS/ and use the mv filename

that shouldn't work...you can't mv across different filesystems.
check /DOS/ and see if they're still there.

> 	In some X windows games that I have had, when I would move the
> mouse off of the window, strange colors result. Others (less simple
> games) run with no problem. Coincidentally, the games I have run in X
> also have SVGALIB versions, which I run because of the problem in X. Any

nope...that's just the way X deals with colors.  the game needs more
colors than are available, so it installs a private colormap.  has
nothing to do with svgalib.  you may want to look into running X at a
higher color depth, but many games won't run in the higher modes
(notably xdoom and xabuse).

> 	When I download programs for linux and successfully move them to
> an installation area, I gzip -d them. Where did the .gz file go when I

it's the same file...gunzip renames it for you.

> problem on my dad's end. I will try running my windows dialer in WINE
> when I eventually get it.)

i highly doubt that will work.

HTH.

/mdi

--
michael d. ivey: director of emerging technologies   (http://realminfo.com)

Non interpone se in res magorum, nam ei sunt acuti et celer irae.