[ale] I (almost) give up!

Jim Lynch jwl at sgi.com
Fri Dec 25 11:07:41 EST 1998

Don't know if this will help, but here is (almost) what my pap-secrets
file looks like:

ms112344 * xy12zzui

Note there a only 3 fields.  It works for me.  Don't use your email
username/password, use your login username/password

Michael B Golden wrote:

> I've almost give up on getting Linux connected to the internet. Here are
> my last cries for help:
>
> 1. Pap-Secrets Problem?
>
> [pap-secrets]
> # PAP authentication file: /etc/ppp/pap-secrets
> # This file should have a permission of 600.
> # ~# chmod 600 /etc/ppp/pap-secrets
> # Username      Server      Password      IP addresses
> "michael"   *   "Password"
>
> Why does this have a header for Username, Server, Password, and IP
> address, yet pppsetup only filled in two? Also, why is the password under
> the server header?
Don't know (or care) about the other fields.  Mindspring doesn't use
them AFAIK.
The fields are not column dependent.  They are just fields separated by
white space.  If it makes you feel better to line them up, go ahead, but
that isn't necessary.  Just as long as you have at least one space
between the fields.

> 2. PPP-ON
> What is the basic template for a ppp-on file using PAP? pppsetup doesn't
> seem to make anything that works. I think it has to do with username and
> password verification that it has the trouble. It can connect, yet
> disconnects me because of this, so I am trying to find out how to write
> my own ppp-on file.
>
> Michael Golden
> Naugrim at Juno.com
> Slackware 3.5 (2.0.34) Linux user -- Linux Advocator

> or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

I don't have a ppp-on file.  Here is what I do.

/etc/ppp/chat
''\r
''\r
''ATZ
OK AT&F1
OK ATDT4046541300
CONNECT ''

/etc/ppp/options
bsdcomp 9,15
connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/ppp/chat'
mru 296
crtscts
defaultroute
lock
modem
115200
noipdefault
user ms112344

I already showed you my pap-secrets file.  Change the phone number to
match your phone and make any other necessary changes to the AT commands
that you need to.
Note in the chat file, the '' is not a double quote, it is two
apostrophes.  Cut and paste if you can.  Note the ms username and
password are bogus, but hopefully you get the idea.

Use this plus what your pppsetup generated for you to see if you can't
get a winning combination.  The stuff in the options file is what works
for me.  You may have to tweak the settings to make it work for you.
Not

--
To see my .signature file, go to http://reality.sgi.com/jwl