[ale] Sabre 0.2.3 flight sim game

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Sun Dec 6 18:20:10 EST 1998

On Sun, 6 Dec 1998, Nick Lucent wrote:

> get the compiled version from
> ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-i386/games? and use
> alien to convert it

Um, no, don't do that.  Caldera is libc5, while Debian is libc6 (glibc2), so
it's not going to work.

If you're going to snag a pre-compiled copy from a distribution, try SuSE
5.3 (not 6.0) or Slackware.  I don't know if they come with sabre, though.

Alternately, if you post exactly what the error is you get when you try to
compile, somebody might be able to help you figure out how to compile it
yourself.

FWIW, I was able to convince it to compile, but that was on a glibc2 box
with egcs 1.1 and libstdc++ 2.9....  Hang on....

Okay, I've put a statically linked copy of it up on the web.  Snarf it from
http://cyberbuzz.gatech.edu/kaboom/linux/sabre.gz .  I can't guarantee that
it'll work (SVGAlib doesn't work with my G200 so I can't try it), but it
should.  You may have to install some data files or something yourself
though; I didn't really check.  Also, since you have to run it as root,
you'd better trust me ;-).

later,
chris

--