[ale] Need parts for Multia

Vernard Martin vernard at cc.gatech.edu
Sun Dec 6 09:02:01 EST 1998

>I just picked up one of those DEC Multias off of ebay. I was wondering if
> anybody could direct me to a source for a 2.5" SCSI-2 notebook harddrive,
> as this is what my Multia is set up for. BTW, mine is a VX40 with the
> optional external SCSI-2 conector as well, so I can go external if need be.
> The OS will, of course, be Linux.  :)

There are very few places that are sellling those scsi drives at a decent
price. I know that Starship Computer is sellign them and www.onsale.com is
selling some DEC Multia components as well. You can also try out CPUmicromart
as they were selling multias a while back. What you are going to find is that
they don't come in sizes larger than 850MB and they are about 4 times the cost
of normal SCSI drives. I strongly recommend that you use an external scsi hard
drive instead.

> 	Right now, I have in my possesion an old 420 meg Seagate 50-pin SCSI
> drive. Can I get an adaptor cable to hook this up to a SCSI-2 port?

Yes you can. They are a little pricey these days as SCSI gets more and more
popular but you can find those adapters. You can check out GIM computer over on
Northside drive. They have a good selection of computer cables and adapters.
But they are a little on the expensive size as far as pricese are concerned.

> I also intend to run a NEC 3x external SCSI CD-ROM drive as well. Any link
> to sellers of older, discontinued and surplus hardware would be
> appreciated as well.

Check out the Linux General Store (www.linuxgeneralstore.com), the proprietor,
Joe Devita, might be able to help you out in this regard.

Vernard Martin (vernard at cc.gatech.edu)  http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~vernard/
Georgia Tech, College of Computing