[ale] Linux @ Sun and the Demise of Solaris-x86...

Nomad the Wanderer nomad at orci.com
Tue Aug 4 11:51:47 EDT 1998

Just reporting what I heard from some of their senior guys on the
inside.  Was hoping someone else might have some input.

Actually they might have a reason.  Here, they buy a number of E3000's
instead of 6 and 10's due to cost since they need to have separate
production and development boxes.  According to all the DBA's, moving
one of the devel oracle setups to a different architecture would be
a minimum ammount of work since just about everything is shell scripts
and datafiles on their end.  Any bets you could talk management into
buying Larger work horses for Production if they could do the devel
work on dual-Pent/PPro/P2 systems?

I'd think Sun would like to sell more of it's larger workhorses than
just a few E3000's and the like..

Thus spake Vernard Martin (vernard at cc.gatech.edu):

> >   In addition, I was talking with some guys at sun.  It appears that
> > they're going to do away with Solarix x86 and instead push/support
> > Linux...
>
> I hate to say this Robert but if yo believe that then you are greener than I
> thought :-)
>
> Sun has no intention of dropping Solaris for the x86 and pushing linux in its
> stead. That would make no sense from their perspective.

> Vernard Martin (vernard at cc.gatech.edu)  | 2nd Atlanta Linux Showcase!
> http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~vernard/      | October 23 - 24, 1998
> Georgia Tech, College of Computing      | http://www.ale/org/showcase

Robert L. Harris                |   Educate the Masses,
Senior System Administrator II  |      Don't just help them to
  at Great West Life.           \_       Remain ignorant.

http://www.orci.com/~nomad

DISCLAIMER:

FYI: