[ale] [backups]

logan at snarf.wreck.org logan at snarf.wreck.org
Wed Apr 15 09:35:06 EDT 1998

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Vernard Martin wrote:

> I'm looking into buying a backup device for my PC hardware. Looking for
> something in the 2 to 4 gig range. I don't care if its compressed or not.
> I would an IDE interface if possible as I have herad that there is some support
> for that now in the latest version of things like ftape. Any success stories
> would be greatly appreciated. I know that I could go scsi but I'm avoiding that
> so I don't have to put a scsi card in this particular machine.

	I have a Seagate/Conner Travan-4 IDE tape drive, and it works
great.  I haven't been keeping up with ftape development, so forgive me if
I'm being silly, but as long as I've known it's just done floppy-tape
backup.  Check out sunsite in /pub/Linux/system/backup (actually, ftp.cc
should have that mirrored) for tools.  I just have this in my crontab:

45 03 * * Mon	tar -czX /etc/backup-exclude-list / -f /dev/ht0

	It seems to be working fine.

     Logan Johnson || logan at snarf.wreck.org
      DangerMouse  ||  rute at cc.gatech.edu
     "I'm going into a seventh-level Yoga