[ale] USR v.90 modem

Linux Idiot esoteric at atlnet.com
Tue Apr 14 19:33:21 EDT 1998

Heaton, William P wrote:

>         Well let me tell you of my adventures with USR. I purchased
> one of their x2 modems about six months ago. My first try with it was
> ok, but it wouldn't connect at any speed above 19200 (to another USR).
> I sent it back and got another one. This one was as it's counterpart,
> no connection at a speed greater than 19200. I began my journey
> by testing my phone line per their procedure. It passed with flying
> colors.
> Then, I did every "try this" from the mindspring x2 newsgroup. I still
> could not connect above 19200. I waited. I was on their website about
> a month ago and thought I'd upgrade the flash rom with the latest
> firmware. I did. After that, I could not connect at all in high speed
> mode and ended up having to lock the com port at 9600 before it
> would connect at all to another USR modem. I could connect to a
> friend's BBS at 24000 and he has a cheapo 33.6. After they offered
> the v.90 upgrade I called them and they gave me a low speed number
> to use for the flash rom upgrade (to v.90). It worked! I can now connect
> at 24000 to another USR modem. Did I mention my wife's Motorola 33.6
> connects at 31200 EVERY time!?? My next try is to bring it to work and
> try it on our phone system. I was told if the signal goes through more
> than 1 a2d circuit, it will not work in x2. <steping off soapbox>
>
> Phil

I can appreciate your frustration.  My experiences have been quite the
opposite.  I've gone from  28.8->33.6->56K->56k v.90 and never had
problems with connecting at reasonably high speeds.  Currently, I've
been connecting at 49,333 and 48,000.  Wierd numbers, but that's what's
being reported.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at atlnet.com

NT is secure.... as long as you don't remove the shrink wrap.
Want to speed up your NT box real cheap?  Replace NT with Linux...