[ale] Kernel update /Compile ?

Linux Idiot esoteric at atlnet.com
Mon Apr 13 23:01:06 EDT 1998

RHS Linux User wrote:

> Dear Sir /Madame ,
> I am using Red Hat 4.2 with kernel version 2.0.30 .Now I want to upgrade
> to 2.0.32 , the more latest kernel .
> Should I down load 2.0.32 , the whole tar.gz file , unzip and compile or
> should I apply a patch to my existing/working one i.e. my 2.0.30 one .
> Which would be the best way to upgrade my kernel to a higher version .

It's up to you, depending on how long you want to download.  Patches
download much faster then the full kernel.  I seem to recall that there
were some problems with the 2.0.32 kernel.  I'm currently running 2.0.33
with no problems.  You might consider going to 33.   Anyone recall
problems with 32?

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at atlnet.com

NT is secure.... as long as you don't remove the shrink wrap.
Want to speed up your NT box real cheap?  Replace NT with Linux...