[ale] kernel/userspace debate

Linux Idiot esoteric at atlnet.com
Fri Apr 10 22:08:55 EDT 1998

jason at alltel.net wrote:

> At the post ALE meeting nutrition session last night, during the MS
> bashing segment of the programme, the news of MS moving IIS (Internet
> Information Server, their web server) into the NT kernel was the
> subject of much ridicule.
>
> While I agree that kernel space is no place for a web server (or
> even telnet, Slowlaris be damned) I cannot help but think that Linux
> folks are being a shade hypocritical by so vehemently denouncing this
> practice. Was it not our own Linus who sanctioned moving nfs
> services into the Linux kernel? How does this issue differ from
> that of placing a web server in kernel space?

Although I don't totally agree with moving nfs to the kernel, it's
certainly a different issue then moving a web server there.  Networking
services are much closer to the OS than a web server.  Also, you have to
understand the reasoning.  What is the reason for moving nfs to the
kernel?  The only reason Microsoft is moving IIS there is to get an edge
on all the other servers out there, continuing to extend their monopoly.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at atlnet.com

NT is secure.... as long as you don't remove the shrink wrap.
Want to speed up your NT box real cheap?  Replace NT with Linux...