[ale] RedHat 5.0 Installation problem

Don Allison don at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Apr 3 16:44:28 EST 1998

>I thought I was told by someone that redhat 5 had a problem w/ a
>particular model of adaptec scsi controller, He had the same problem, So
>if your using scsi that could be it, he called redhat and they couldnt
>find a way around it so he ended up putting it on another machine w/ a
>diff adaptec controller

Sounds like problems I had.  My system had an integrated Adaptec 7850
SCSI controller, and RedHat got to the point of trying to install the boot
loader and failed everytime (RedHat 4, 4.2, AND 5.0).  If you told it to
go on it wouldn't boot....if you went to another window and wrote the
kernel to a floppy, it would boot to the point of talking to the SCSI
controller and then kernel panic because it couldn't find the hard drive.

My solution was to finally switch to Slackware 3.4 which worked fine!
Just choose the 2x4x boot disk and you'll be set.  Of course you won't
get all the software or RPM package management or GUI setup tools, but
you WILL get a working Linux system (which in my case was currently
more important).

>Jenn-Huei Lii wrote:
>> `An error occured buring step "Install bootloader" of the install.'
>>
>> `You may retry that step,...'

Yep...and of course retrying doesn't do anything useful, just repeats
the warning. :-(

If anyone else has a better solution, I'd appreciate hearing about it as
well....

don