[ale] A new project to merge the existing GCC forks (fwd)

Omar Loggiodice ologgio at vrainn.com
Sat Sep 20 11:58:04 EDT 1997

Hi Folks,

   Read the attached email, it relates to a new GCC development project.
Many gcc developers have been frustrated with the length of time that it is
taking to release gcc, and also the time it takes to get patches into
the FSF tree.

   The egcs project was started by several of these developers, including
most of the major contributors to the gcc project from Cygnus and all around
the net. I've been on the egcs list since it started (mid August), and the
activity and developments have been great! For example, member templates
support (for those of you that work with C++) is included in the latest
snapshot of egcs.

There is not a production release of egcs yet, but if you like the bleeding
edge you can grab the snapshots from ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/egcs make sure
you read through the egcs archives/web site/list first! (I don't recommend
you get the snapshots unless you're a developer and are interested in
playing around with versions of libc/glibc and/or patches!!)

BTW, HJ Lu and Ulrich Drepper are heavily involved in this project also
(they both have been doing most of the work on libc and glibc for a long time).

If you're interested, join the mailing list and make a contribution!

D.V. Henkel-Wallace Writes :
:From gcc2-request at cygnus.com  Fri Aug 15 19:53:14 1997