[ale] 8mm Sun Tar on tape

Dan Newcombe newcombe at mordor.clayton.edu
Fri Sep 19 16:46:18 EDT 1997

David,

  I had a similar problem.  In my case the solution was that the Sun tape
drive wrote at a density/format that the Linux tape drive couldn't
understand.  When I tared the stuff up on the Sun, I had to user
/dev/rmt0l for the device (low-density).   However, the Sun could read
stuff from the Linux box just fine because it could handle the lower
density just fine.

Dan Newcombe                                      newcombe at mordor.clayton.edu
"Maybe you were always beyond my reach and my heart was playing safe, But was
 that love in your eye I saw or the reflection of mine?"  --Marillion