[ale] Something listening on a socket?

Robert L Harris nomad at rocky.orci.com
Thu Sep 18 16:15:28 EDT 1997

> Look in /etc/services
> and look in /etc/inetd.conf
>
> telnet [hostname] 3666
>
> >Ok,
> >  This is off topic.  My ISP is using BSDi-3.0 against my recomendation and
> >they're
> >kinda up the proverbial creek.  someone hacked them and put a proggy listening
> >on port 3666.  I've checked all the conventional methods and can't find it.
> >netstat show's it listening, but how do I find the program?  I want to find
> >and
> >kill this person...
> >
> >  Any help is appreciated.  I think after this they'll start thinking about
> >listening to me more.

Those were no help... Someone who worked there, put up a daemon on that port
to montor the modems and routers...  That's not the hole.  But atleast we
found that one.  By the way.  You can diff directories very successfully...

Robert

Robert L. Harris          |    If NT is the answer,
System Engineer For Hire. \_     you don't understand the question.

Email:
Robert at ast.lmco.com
http://www.orci.com/~nomad

DISCLAIMER: