[ale] MSD format specifier for Linux?

John M. Mills jmills at jmills.gtri.gatech.edu
Wed Sep 17 13:16:31 EDT 1997

On Wed, 17 Sep 1997, Josh Murrah wrote:

> WOW, I just tried this.  What's the deal??  It does a DMF format disk,
> but, jsut as Chris says, it's 'corrupted' if you try to access the file
> (I copied using explorer). What's up with that?

I assumed that some aspects of the disk format were explicitly provided by
the /dev/fd?* file, which was part of the information I originally sought.

For example: dd if=gigo.win of=/dev/fd0 would have to identify the format
on /dev/fd0, or dd if=gigo.win of=/dev/fd0H1440 would know from the output
device, what format to use.  I must admit to considerable ignorance, here,
however.  If I come up with a format definition, can anyone direct me how
to come up with (say) a /dev/fd0MSD1770 or whatever?

 John M. Mills, Senior Research Engineer   --   john.m.mills at gtri.gatech.edu
    Georgia Tech Research Institute, Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA 30332-0834
          Phone contacts: 404.894.0151 (voice), 404.894.6285 (FAX)
 "The one piece of advice I can give you is, put on sunscreen and wear a hat."
                          -- Ted Turner, GSU Commencement, Atlanta, 1994