[ale] Re: zImages and such

Geoffrey Myers geof at abraxis.com
Sun Sep 14 22:39:19 EDT 1997

nomad wrote:

> Dave Wreski wrote:
>
> > Hi all.  I had a few questions about kernel images I hoped someone
> > could
> > help me with..
> >
> > If zImage represents a compressed kernel image, what is bzImage?
> > Why
> > not just always use bzImage?
> >
> > When would a vmlinux file be used for something?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dave
>
> I don't know about the zImage vs. bzImage, except I think the zImage
> uses lesscompression and loads faster as a result.

bzImage is the kernel image created when you can't create a zImage
because your kernel is too big, hence the faster loading/less
compression.  If you try to compile a kernel with a bunch of goodies,
you will not be able to create a zImage,therefore bzImage is the
solution.

--
Until later:
Geoffrey Myers   geof at abraxis.com	http://www.abraxis.com/geof

	Opinions expressed by me are mine, all mine, only mine.....