[ale] Re: zImages and such

nomad nomad at orci.com
Sat Sep 13 12:22:06 EDT 1997

</pre>
<HTML>
Dave Wreski wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>Hi all.  I had a few questions about kernel
images I hoped someone could
<BR>help me with..

<P>If zImage represents a compressed kernel image, what is bzImage?
Why
<BR>not just always use bzImage?

<P>When would a vmlinux file be used for something?

<P>Thanks,
<BR>Dave</BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't know about the zImage vs. bzImage, except I think the zImage
uses lesscompression and loads faster as a result.

<P>vmlinux is just a name you use for the image.  I use vmlinuz, vm.test
and vm.stable
<BR>when I'm messing with different kernels
<BR>
<PRE>--
Robert L. Harris             |   If NT is the answer,
System Engineer For Hire.    \_    You don't understand the question.

Email:
  Robert at ast.lmco.com
http://www.orci.com/~nomad

DISCLAIMER:

perl -e 'print $i=pack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10);'</PRE>
 </HTML>