[ale] 2Q: (1) H/W - IRQs, (2) S/W - modules

John M. Mills jmills at jmills.gtri.gatech.edu
Tue Sep 9 12:36:51 EDT 1997

Sorry to follow up my note, but to save any friendly soul the unneeded
effort: I am making some progress with the Friendly Manual, and I think my
H/W setup problems arise from not having reserved the appropriate
interrupts for the ISA/EISA section of my motherboard, so the system
expects and may use them for PCI devices.  AMI BIOS SETUP has a page for
that, which I had missed.

On Tue, 9 Sep 1997, John M. Mills wrote:

> Just replacing my quaint 386/6DX40 ISA with a super whamodyne FCI 2007
> with all mod cons, [etc...]
>
> (1) I had my cdrom drive at I/O address 0x300, IRQ=10.  On the new board,
> its IRQ isn't identified.

With regard to modules installation, I will look into
/src/linux/Documentation/modules.txt, and go from there.   I would still
appreciate comments about module selection, insertion and removal.  I have
always taken these a bit too much for granted.  Thanks.

 John M. Mills, Senior Research Engineer   --   john.m.mills at gtri.gatech.edu
    Georgia Tech Research Institute, Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA 30332-0834
          Phone contacts: 404.894.0151 (voice), 404.894.6285 (FAX)
 "The one piece of advice I can give you is, put on sunscreen and wear a hat."
                          -- Ted Turner, GSU Commencement, Atlanta, 1994