[ale] Jumperless ethercard

Chris Ricker gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu
Sun Sep 7 14:39:15 EDT 1997

On  7 Sep, Todd Graham Lewis wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Sep 1997, Chris Ricker wrote:
>
>> You can also do fun stuff if you use the configuration software for one
>> ne2000 clone on a different brand clone.  I've managed to change my
>> hardware address that way ;-).
>
> You booted to DOS to change your hardware address?  Why?

Because the eeprom had gotten totally hosed, and Linux wouldn't even
recognize the card.  AFAIK, there's no software for burning NE2K eeproms
under Linux.  The hardware address change was incidental....

> macduff# ifconfig eth0 hw ether 10:40:33:24:f7:ae

I didn't know you could do that.  I'll go try it out and hope the
people here at OIT don't complain too much ;-).

later,
chris

Chris Ricker                                 gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu