[ale] Jumperless ethercard

Jon Anthony Smith smitjo at cs-sa0.wwc.edu
Wed Sep 3 00:38:09 EDT 1997

On Tue, 2 Sep 1997, William Young wrote:

> I just picked up what I /*thought*/ was a standard NE2000 clone. When I
> got it home, I noticed there where no jumpers. Apperently it has a boot
> ROM that deteremines ports and IRQs. Well, lo and behold, Linux doesn't
> see it. dmesg shows
>
> ne.c:v1.10 9/23/94 Donald Becker (becker at cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov)
> NE*000 ethercard probe at 0x300: failed to detect IRQ line.
>
> And there's nothing in /proc. Any ideas, or should this go back for
> recognisable hardware?
>
> TIA,
>
> Will

Forgive me for trying to answer this question. I have but a wee brain...

Probably the card's drivers will setup up IRQ, I/O out of win95/dos and
then you could simply do a warm boot and the card should retain its
settings. Of course you would then have to
1) Have win/dos
2) Boot into the damn thing every time you want to use linux networking

So that probably isn't a satisfactory solution. Other than that I know
nothing.
Anthony Smith
smitjo at usa.net