[ale] Linux for sale

andy dread at atlcom.net
Tue Sep 2 19:33:21 EDT 1997

>  To me, this is the grail.  A world dominated by one brand of Linux is
>
> still half as bad as a world dominated by MS Windows XYZ-of-the-day.
> But a world where all software is open to the tickerings of
> wireheads....  Ahhhhh :)
>
> lex

FAT chance!! Not enough wireheads out there.  Most just want to plug-in
and
go.  Linux will become more widely accepted when you don't have to spend

time fixing packages that don't install properly.  For us this is not a
problem.
But for the typical windoze user this is a nightmare.  Man pages don't
give much
information on what to do when something screws-up.  Another thing.
The average
windoze user is incapapble of typing commands at the console.  Even
simple
scripts may be quite a challenge.  I know many winusers that get lost in
DOS.
They won't touch it.  Basic rule, If they can't plug it in and start
clicking, then they
won't mess with it.  Basically, if it requires any brain-power then they
will be lost.

/andY