[ale] WordPerfect for Linux

Michael H. Warfield mhw at alcove.wittsend.com
Mon Sep 1 10:44:49 EDT 1997

> Michael H. Warfield writes:
> [snip]
> >
> > 	What's worse is that this asinine license scheme of yours is linked
> > to the hostid!  What were you people thinking?!?!?!  That information is

> You must not work with Sun Sparc workstations. They borrowed the "hostid" from
> the Sun Solaris enviroment (where it is very valid!). We need to educate the
> Corel folks that Linux IS NOT SOLARIS _and_ that A different licensing scheme
> is _mandatory_. Maybe a "write-in" campaign is in order....

	No.  I work with Sparcs all the time.  There the hostid is burned
into the mother board so unless you changed the motherboard the hostid
won't change.  I believe there is even a way to move the hostid to
a new motherboard by moving some firmware although I've never had need
to attempt it.  On Linux, it's based on your network addressing.  That's
that assinine part about using it there!

> --
> -= Sent by Debian 1.2 Linux =-
> Thomas Kocourek  KD4CIK - member of ARRL
> @_ at tko@westgac3.dragon.com Remove @_@ for correct Email address

	Regards,
	Mike
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 925-8248   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/