[ale] Pentium Pro vs. Pentium II

Jason Boyles jason at alltel.net
Thu Oct 30 08:52:59 EST 1997

>I have a RH 4.2 running on Pentium II 266(mmx) with 128 megs of ram.
Bogomips
>shows 264. I heard that pentium pro 200 goes higher than that.i
>Pentium Pro probably is the one most recommended, atleast that's what I
have
>seen discussed on newsgroups.

Pentium Pro thoughts:

        The Ppro has been discontinued, so maybe you can find it cheap.
        The Ppro's L2 cache runs at CPU speed, whereas the current PII cache
runs at bus speed.

    If you want to eventually upgrade to a PII when the prices drop, you can
get an LX SEC1 MB
and an SEC1 adapter for a Ppro from Tyan (~$25).

    Anyone else here done any recent motherboard shopping?

    I'm Jonesing for a Tyan S1692DL. I would go for the recent Abit LX, but
their net support pales in comparison to Tyan.

-----
Jason Boyles <jason at alltel.net>