[ale] Job Posting

geary tko at westgac3.dragon.com
Mon Oct 20 08:04:59 EDT 1997

Geoffrey Myers writes:

> Coyote wrote:
>
> > The company I'm currently with charges our client $125/Hr.
> > for my services as a Solaris Sys Admin., and though I won't
>
> > divulge my cut of that I can say that it is well above 50K.
>
> I'd be curious to know what your definition of a Sys Admin is.  I've not
> been looking for such a position, but, as I'm on a review board for tech
> promotions at AT&T, I still find it surprising that the postion of Sys
> Admin commands such a price tag.  Unless there is some substantial
> kernel tweeking or additional responsibilities in the areas like
> networking, you would never see this kind of money for your generic Sys
> Admin here.

My 2 cents worth...8-)

Sounds like a lot of assumptions are going on here in this thread. Geoffrey
appears to be assuing that the Sys Admin only does Unix system admin. and with
little experience. William appears to be talking about an experienced Sys
Admin with additional skills not stated, but are necessary to be an
_effective_ Sys Admin (like people skills, network admin, network engineering,
etc.) I should know... Like William, I have those extra skills and experience
which I use daily to do my job of servicing Medical Imaging equipment. (Try
troubleshooting a sick MRI without People skills, Sys Admin, Net admin,
Net engineering skills, etc. 8-) )

--
-= Sent by Debian 1.2 Linux =-
Thomas Kocourek  KD4CIK - member of ARRL