[ale] Limiting TCP/IP speed to a certain host

Omar Loggiodice ologgio at vrainn.com
Tue Oct 7 19:03:48 EDT 1997

Curtis Smith Writes :
:
:> ?
:>
:> If that won't help, I'm open for suggestions on how to discourage this
:> host from using X apps remotely and put it under the guise of a
:> "network
:> problem". I know this sounds a little weird, but I've got a good
:> reason.
:>
:Ok, wild suggestion:
:
:- Take 2 serial ports connected together with appropriate NULL modem,
:running PPP.
:- Route said user's IP range out one PPP port,
:- All traffic from the other serial PPP port goes to the said sub-net
:you want to run slow.
:- Manage how much bandwidth they get via setting the baud rate on the
:back to back
:  serial ports: 1200 baud through 115Kb
:
:Well??
:
:Cheers
:
:curt
:

:) this is a good one!!! :)

  2.1.X has a traffic shaper device that can be used to attach
  devices and limit xmit traffic on that device. I don't know if you
  will be able to specify a specific host by using the IP address setting
  for the shaper device, you'll have to look at the source to find out :)

            /   __  __  __  - __  __ / - _  __  ologgio at vrainn.com
  Omar R.  /__ /_/ /_/ /_/ / /_/ /_/ / /_  /-_  CIS: 74040,1543
                  __/ __/
___C++/6_yrs____Virtual Reality/4_yrs____Vorl_____Linux(free)_______
Never forget either the "Big Picture" or the "Small Picture"...