[ale] [Fwd: End of the line for Alpha?]

Ken Seefried ken at seefried.com
Tue Oct 7 13:22:30 EDT 1997

> > Now, my crystal ball is pretty hazy, and I have no idea what they're
>
> > thinking at both DEC and Intel, but I wonder if this isn't the death
>
> > knell for the Alpha platform.

It is.

Intel has no reason, in any market, to promote or enhance Alpha, and
every reason to kill it off.

Even if Intel doesn't buy it, the fact that Digital has publicly made an

effort to shed the buisiness will likely doom the chip.  It will be
practically
impossible to make a sale of this architecture when the developer and
primary backer of the architecture has given it a vote of no confidence.

I've already had two clients who I've convenced to go Alpha call me
and ask what I'd done to them.  Grrr.

- Ken