[ale] Location of vmlinuz

Daniel Boyd dboyd at berry.edu
Mon Oct 6 11:13:06 EDT 1997

Just back from vacation...  don't know if anyone answered this
question.

To get the kernel recompile procedure to drop the new kernel into
/boot modify the toplevel Makefile (/usr/src/linux/Makefile).  About
15 lines down from the top there is a commented line that you must
uncomment to get make to drop the kernel image into /boot.  It is
documented in the Makefile just above the line.  I think that this
default of using /vmlinuz instead of /boot/vmlinuz has something to
do with historical file system structure and RedHat's "pristine
source code" standard.

Dan

Daniel Boyd, CNA              Voice: 706/236-1750
Network Manager               Fax: 706/238-7858
Computing and Technology      email: dboyd at berry.edu
Berry College         "We are confronted with
                       insurmountable opportunities."
                             -Walt Kelly