[ale] configure sound card.

Thomas J. Parker tjparker at pop.atlanta.com
Sat Nov 22 05:18:07 EST 1997

Sorry to reply so late, but I did not get my email until today (too
lazy to login).

The IDE port on the Soundblaster card is set up as the third IDE
port.  When I was having this same problem trying to install Redhat
Linux, I found that Linux only recognizes the first two IDE ports.
To make a long story short, you have to move your CDROM drive to the
primary or secondary IDE port to install the software from the CDROM.

I suppose that after that, you could move the CDROM back to the port
on the Soundblaster card if you can change the memory address and IRQ
for the CDROM in Linux to the third port.  (No, I don't know how, so
I left the CDROM on the secondary IDE port).  The address and IRQ
information was in the manual for the Soundblaster card, I think.

I hope this helps!

> Date:          Sat, 15 Nov 1997 13:04:00 -0800 (PST)
> From:          Mofid Francis <mfrancis at engr.csulb.edu>
> To:            "Tonya M. Paschal" <root at unix.synnergy.com>
> Cc:            ale at cc.gatech.edu
> Subject:       [ale] configure sound card.

> I am linux 1.2.13 running on a 486 33mhz, I installed a sound card and
> connected my cd-rom drive to the sound card but linux does not pick it
> up...what are the instructions to accomplish this task....
>
> Can linux see my cd-rom through the sound card....the sound card is sound
> blaster compatiable....did anyone go through this task before....
>
> any help would be greatly appreciated.....
> Moe
> mfrancis at csulb.edu

Thomas J. Parker
E-Mail - Personal - tjparker at atlanta.com