[ale] Some networking trouble...

Peter Ekstrom pekstrom at mindspring.com
Fri Nov 21 18:46:23 EST 1997

Howdy y'all!

I'm trying to help a friend out with a, to me, strange network problem.

He has an internal network on a token ring and is trying to get ppp to work
as well.  The token ring network is working just fine, but the ppp connection
doesn't.
When he's connected and tries to ping something on the outside, nothing happens.
But, he can telnet to my machine but it takes a little while to give the login
prompt.  Same thing happens when I telnet to his machine.

Telnet connects pretty quick and gives the escape sequence message, but then it
waits for 30 seconds to a minute before it gives the login prompt.

His route table looks just like mine, which works.  I have an internal
ethernet network...  He did have his gateway address setup for the outside on
the internal token ring.  We changed that and rebooted but it didn't help.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem or could someone give me some clues
as to what else to look at?  I'm clueless at this point...

Thanks in advance...
! Name.: Peter Ekstrom           !   IBM AS/400 - Senior Programmer Analyst   !
! Email: pekstrom at mindspring.com ! ALLTEL Information Services    Atlanta, GA !