[ale] AdLib card -> no /dev/audio?

Dave spork at chefmike.com
Thu Nov 20 21:37:30 EST 1997

I tried ISAPNP with my card.  I used the exact same configuration that I
had in windows (i rebooted to keep those values when I PNPDUMP'd)

My card is the chipset of an OPTi 82C931 (PnP).  The sound drivers that
come by default in the 2.0.32 source (or any other source for that matter)
dont support this card, and OPTi dosen't seem to have any linux drivers for
it <*surprise!*>

Ok, here's the problem.  I'm utterly confused about what to do.  Do I need
to download something like ossfree and make modules out of that for my card
and then use the ISAPNP?  My sound card says its compatible with the Sound
Blaster chipset...but when I try this ( default drivers in the 2.0.32
source ), /dev/sndstat dosent list anything under the 'audio' field.  I was
thinking about buying a cheap card just to replace it, a la my last
posting.

If any one could clear ANY of this up it would be greatly appreciated.

-dave

----------
> From: tko at westgac3.dragon.com
> To: jak at jhk.com
> Cc: ale at cc.gatech.edu
> Subject: Re: [ale] AdLib card -> no /dev/audio?
> Date: Thursday, November 20, 1997 11:06 AM
>
> Joe Knapka writes:
> >
> > Hey, folks,
> >
> > Has anyone managed to get a SIIG SoundWave 1000 board to
> > work properly under Linux? The card is ISA PnP, and claims to be
> > AdLib, SoundBlaster 16, and WSS-compatible; it's got an OPL-3
> > FM chip. I have read and re-read the the sound HOWTO and the
> > driver docs, which basically say, "Do thus-and-so for MSS-compatible
> > cards." However, when I do this, /dev/audio is nonfunctional - I can
> > send data to it (cat linus.au > /dev/audo), but nothing comes out
> > of the speakers. I can still play CDs, though. Neither the AdLib
> > nor the SoundBlaster drivers work at all (not surprising, I
> > guess).
> >
> > This is under 2.0.30 on a Cyrix-based machine. Annoyingly
> > enough, the card works flawlessly under both NT and Warp 4.
> >
> > Anyway, if someone just happens to have one of these cards
> > working, I'd like to know how you did it.
>
> I don't have that particular card, but I do have PNP cards. Have you
tried the
> PNP utilities,"pnpdump & isapnp" ? The first one probes all PNP cards on
your
> system and produces a configuration file. You edit the file and select
the
> options for your machine. Then you use isapnp to configure those cards.
They