[ale] Intel confirms bug (fwd)

Mike Kachline kachline at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Nov 11 18:25:03 EST 1997

	If you own a P5, you want to read this. If you own a P5 with
hostile users, you *definately* want to read this.
							- Mike
Michael Kachline - CS, Georgia Tech
kachline at cc.gatech.edu
http://brightstar.gt.ed.net/kachline/

                Intel (INTC) today confirmed that a bug can
                crash its Pentium processors, and the chip
                giant was rushing to come up with a fix.

                Intel acknowledged the "F0" bug this
                afternoon, saying that it is now looking into a
                work-around. A spokesperson said the
                company would know more about the
                work-around "within a week."

                Though completely different in nature, the F0
                bug evokes memories of a calculation glitch
                in the Pentium found by a mathematics
                professor back in 1994, which cost Intel close
                to $500 million dollars.

                "Yes, we are confirming this is an errata. This
                was not on our published list of [processor
                bugs]. We didn't know it existed until Friday,"
                the spokesperson said today.

                The bug was first reported by CNET's
                NEWS.COM Friday afternoon. Intel is an
                investor in CNET: The Computer Network.

                The Pentium F0 bug can freeze up Pentium
                MMX and "classic" Pentium (non-MMX)
                computers, machines that number in the
                hundreds of millions worldwide.

                A computer affected by the bug freezes
                completely and must be restarted. A
                "ctrl-alt-delete" keyboard operation, which
                can generally be used for "rebooting" a
                computer, will not work. The computer must
                be restarted.

                Intel publishes a list of Pentium, Pentium Pro,
                and Pentium II bugs. These problems,
                referred to as "errata," are supposed to
                cover all known bugs.

                Intel confirmed that the bug occurs only when
                the processor receives an illegal, one-line
                instruction. "The result is the system could
                freeze," Intel said.

                "This bug will not be found in commercial
                software," Intel added. The bug does not
                affect Pentium Pro or Pentium II processors.

                Nathan Brookwood, an analyst at marketing
                research firm Dataquest, said the bug is
                similar to glitch found in the IBM 790
                computer back in the early 1960s. In that
                case, a single errant instruction was able to
                bring down an IBM computer.

                "This is dangerous if you're in a multiuser
                environment. If somebody does it to himself,
                fine. I don't care. But if somebody takes a
                bomb onto a plane I'm flying on, then I care,"
                he said.

                One interesting aspect of the bug is that, in a
                crash, because the processor is actually still
                running, Intel may be able to "discover the
                state" of the processor and thereby come up
                with a software fix, Brookwood said.

                "They may be able to set up an error-handling
                condition...That's what they are working on
                now within Intel and with key operating
                system suppliers," he said.

                Brookwood said the strategy will probably be
                to go to operating system vendors and say,
                "Here's the problem and here's the
                work-around, and go figure out how to
                implement it."

Darrin's Vegas News and Links