[ale] DHCP, Linux and Win95

Andrew Newton lfs at eskimo.com
Tue Mar 11 13:05:36 EST 1997

I finally got the the Bootp-DD 2.4.3 server running.  It's
amazing what you can learn when you turn debugging on.  And
once again, to show how free software rules, I found a bug
in the server that was causing my problem.

For anyone interested, change the line in the bootpd.c files
get_dynamic() function that reads:
                        dynamic_hosts=data[0];
to:
                        dynamic_hosts=(u_char)(data[0]);

Even without the simple fix, the server will still dynamically
allocate addresses in chunks of 127.  This fix allows the chunks
to go up to 254.

And for the record, the patched CMU server with dynamic allocation
(Bootpd-DD v2.4.3) works on Linux systems with more than one NIC
and doesn't require the special addition of a 255.255.255.255 static
route.

--
Andrew Newton
lfs at eskimo.com