[ale] Upgrade - (Insanity)

Alex Agle ccasta1 at oit.gatech.edu
Sun Jun 8 20:46:49 EDT 1997

Hi Terry,

> I have "tried" to upgrade to Red Hat 4.1 (Infomagic).  I ended up having
> to do a complete reinstall.  Not FUN!  Now I cannot run my Progress
> database in multi-user mode.  Why?
> "Unable to create semaphore ste, errno=17."  Error 17 means "file not
> found".  This worked fine on my 2.0.0 kernel but not on 2.0.27.  I have
> to get this going.  It's what I do for a living.  Anybody got any ideas?
>
> By the way, I have iBCS installed with insmod, and the SCO shared libs
> installed 'casue my Progress development system is SCO.  The kernel
> compiles with no apparent problems.

I'll take a stab at it.  You switched kernels, and to use semaphores you
must have System V IPC enabled in the kernel.  It sounds like Progress
uses semaphores and your kernel lacks support for it.  Just recompile
your kernel to include semaphores, and you should be all set (I hope).

Good luck,
Alex