[ale] pseudo ttys

Lex Spoon sspoon at clemson.edu
Sun Jun 1 20:59:54 EDT 1997

> Is it possible to change the kernel to use pseudo tty's after ttyp9 the kernel u
> ses ttypq.  I would like to change ot so it will use ttyp10 - ttyp256.  Is this
> possible and how can I do this.
>
> Thanks,
> Christopher Fowler
> ----------------------------------
> E-Mail: c_fowler at hotmail.com

Easy; "just" rename all the files in /dev.  However, programs that you
don't write will expect these files to be named as they currently are;
you would also need to recode every program which uses psuedo
tty's....  I guess you could have two copies of each device: one with
the pq name, and one with the 123 name.  But then, if you write a
program that expects the 123 names, it won't work properly on other
people's machines!

I think it is best to just leave it alone and learn to deal with the
current naming.

lex