[ale] FTP'ing from ISP with linux box as FTP server

William Young catbert at ding.mindspring.com
Sun Jun 1 19:29:33 EDT 1997

In order to reach your linux box, you will need to know

a) your IP or
b) your hostname

If you have dynamic IP, and your host name (e.g.
catbert.users.mindspring.com) changes, then you're SOL.
To find out your current IP address, type 'ifconfig'. You should be using
the ppp0 interface. Then look up you name with

$host [IP Address]

There are third party, semi-reliable services for this. Check out
www.nws.net for more information. It will run you ~25-50/year.

If you will only do this from your machine, you can always ftp to
localhost, though that's not very useful.

Will

William "Leaves His Terminal Logged In" Young
catbert at ding.mindspring.com
If you really want to see me, check the papers and the TV
Look who's telling who what to do --Ben Folds Five