[ale] LILO and big kernels

gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu
Thu Jul 31 14:11:53 EDT 1997

On 31 Jul, Geoffrey Myers wrote:
> Anyway, I've just recompiled a new kernel (2.0.30) and got the 'kernel to
> big' message.  I found the suggestion to build it with 'make bzImage' and this
> works fine.  I also was able to do a 'make bzdisk' and create a bootable floppy.
> the problem is I couldn't find a reference in the docs for a lilo kernel.  I
> went snooping around the Makefiles and found a bzlilo target, so I tried 'make
> bzlilo.'  It compiles but returns an error message that the kernel is too big.
> I can create a kernel, but when I run lilo, I get the same 'kernel to big'
> message.  Can anyone tell me how to get lilo to work with this 'big kernel?'

Read the section entitled "Booting Changes" or something like that in
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes (change the path if your source
tree is elsewhere).  Basically, you need to be running lilo 0.19 or
later if you want to use the big (bz) kernel images.

Alternately, kerneld and compiling stuff as modules will shrink your
kernel size, and free up memory when the modules aren't needed.

later,
chris

Chris Ricker                                 gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu