[ale] laptop scsi Q

miff miff at k2.ashpool.com
Thu Jul 31 10:44:27 EDT 1997

>Robert Harris rote:
>I'm getting a Dell laptop tonight.  It has a port
>replicator and a scsi adapter on that.  Anyone ever
>tried to use one of these?  If I can get it to
>work I'd like to put linux on an external disk...
>
>Robert

Robert-

I ran linux on my Dell using the port rep and a dual boot system
for some time - it worked fine.  (I forget what NIC the port
rep is equivalent to)  I find the PCMCIA setup to be much less physically
constraining, tho.

I would reccommend using partition magic or similar to put linux
on the same disk -or- get a second hard drive (swappable) and
use it exclusively for linux.

Lemme know if you have more specific questions, I may be able to help.

-miff

(ps - rereading your post, i realize you were asking about the scsi
adapter *on* the port rep itself... - no, I havent used it - sorry)