[ale] Linux proxy server

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at tfreeman.vnet.net
Sat Jul 26 08:44:11 EDT 1997

On Jul 25,  5:56pm, ED PAYNTER wrote:
> Subject: [ale] Linux proxy server
> Dear ALE:
> 	My name is Ed Paynter and I am the network administrator for
> Greensboro Day School, a K-12 school located in Greensboro, NC.  Our
> school has recently (last December) installed a campus Ethernet network
<<snip>>
> 	My first question is:  Will it work?  With the hardware I have, can I
> build an adequate Linux-based proxy server that will help our Internet
> access speed.

I have not done so myself. However, it should work like a champ unless I missed
something intensely obvious.

> 	My second question is: Assuming the answer to the first question is
> yes, will I need additional software (proxy-services,etc.) in order to
> setup the proxy or are they a part of Linux.
> 	And my last question:  Assuming that both 1 & 2 are answered yes,
> could I use this same machine as a firewall for our network.  It seems
> logical to assume that a proxy server could also act as a firewall.

Linux can serve as a firewall. If you are stuck about 10 days from now, I can
forward your note to an Internet security friend of mine (he is on vacation at
the moment - do not disturb 8-)).

> Currently, we have little protection from the Internet (our main
> protection is that we are probably a very boring site and thus of
> little interest to hackers) and the fact that our fileserver uses only
> IPX and AppleTalk with no drive mapping to our Internet server.   We do
> nightly backups just in case.
<<snip>>
>-- End of excerpt from ED PAYNTER

Ed:

You have two Linux Users Groups in your area to enlist also; name of TLUG and
PLUG, Triad Linux User's Group and Piedmont Linux User's Group. TLUG meets at
the Barnes & Nobel on the third Monday of the month (I think) in High Point.
PLUG is in Winston Salem, but I don't know where the next meeting is or when.
Both groups are listed with GLUE - groups of linux user's everywhere.

I went to the last TLUG meeting, and two young men attending looked to have the
expertise you need. Wish I could give you their names, but I cann't. The
contact person would know, however.

You might also check with the people running Charlotte's Web
(http://www.charweb.org/). They may or may not be in a position to be helpful
at your distance. Money may be involved with them, however.

Hope this helps, and hope you will keep things posted as to successful
progress.

Thompson Freeman		       tfreeman at vnet.net
Student of Chemistry and other Philosophical Studies

!!  Free Knowledge! Bring your own bucket and shovel!