[ale] Latin-1 tricks!

Todd Graham Lewis tlewis at mindspring.net
Sat Jul 26 06:58:09 EDT 1997

People keep being amazed that they can clear up their screen with a simple:

# echo -e '\017'

or, more often, just don't know exactly what this proper escape code is.
(For those who don't know what I'm talking about, do something like "less
/usr/local/bin/netscape" and see if your console gods to garbage.  Or,
even easier, do a "echo -e '\016'.)

There are other problems with charset management under Linux, too, most of
which for me boil down to simply not knowing what goes on.  I discovered
today that both "ascii(7)" and "iso_8859_1(7)" have their own man pages.
They're nice, but to see every single character which your console is
capable of displaying, try the following handy-dandy shell script,
complete with disgusting octal hack:

#!/bin/sh
# Begins at j=3 for your sanity and mine; change to 0 if you like.
i=0
j=3
k=0

echo "\t\t\tiso_8859_1(Latin-1) Charset"
echo "\t\t\t==========================="

while [[ $k -lt 4 ]]
do
	while [[ $j -lt 8 ]]
	do
		while [[ $i -lt 8 ]]
		do
			if [[ $i -eq 4 ]]
			then
				echo
			fi
			# My favorite, the cent mark, is 0242,
			# which is easy enough to remember.
			((num=64*$k+8*$j+$i))
			echo -n "$num($k$j$i): "
			echo -n "\0$k$j$i\t"
			((i++))
		done
		i=0
		echo
		((j++))
	done
	j=0
	((k++))
done

Boldly going where no man has been stupid enough to go before...

--
Todd Graham Lewis       Manager of Web Engineering    MindSpring Enterprises
(800) 719-4664, x2804             Linux!               tlewis at mindspring.net