[ale] Solaris source code - ALMOST ;) free

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at tfreeman.vnet.net
Mon Jul 21 12:50:48 EDT 1997

On Jul 21,  9:46am, R I Feigenblatt wrote:
> Subject: [ale] Solaris source code - ALMOST ;) free
> I thought this might interest some of the people interested in Linux.
>
> "MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--July 21, 1997--Tapping
> into the rich knowledge base of universities and colleges, Sun
> Microsystems, Inc. today said it will make the source code for its
> Solaris(TM) operating environment, the industry's leading version of
> UNIX(R), available virtually free of charge -- for research and study
> purposes -- to the higher education community around the world.
>    The source code will be offered free to customers who purchase an
> additional product from Sun.  By providing the source code on this
> complimentary basis, Sun not only gives university researchers and
> students hands-on experience with Solaris source code, but will help
> ensure that future versions of Solaris benefit from the latest
> innovation and research at the world's top computer research labs..."
>
> Ron Feigenblatt
>
>-- End of excerpt from R I Feigenblatt

Seems like Sun is remembering what Linux never forgot, and AT&T Bell Labs knew
when they were a monopoly. Not dissimilar to what I've been told was a practice
with portions of HP for years also: keep your projects out in the open where
the other bright people can play with them. If some ham-handed person can
breakit at that point - wasn't built right yet. 8-).

Thompson Freeman		       tfreeman at vnet.net
Student of Chemistry and other Philosophical Studies

!!  Free Knowledge! Bring your own bucket and shovel!