[ale] Newbie Linux User Where to Start Question

Robert L. Harris nomad at orci.com
Sat Jul 19 19:40:27 EDT 1997

Rich Simons wrote:

> Hello All!
>
> I am new to this mailing list and hope this question is appropriate.
> If not, just ignore.
>
> I am new to Linux (a couple or so years of Unix but that was a while
> back) and need some direction.
> I want to create a Linux installation for C++ development.  The most
> important goal is to do it quickly
> with the latest updates and no headaches (you guys must be rolling on
> the floor already!).  I don't
> mind paying my dues, but, I would much prefer to buy someones
> commercial package and install
> by the numbers.  Mainly, I want the best C++ development environment I
> can find (graphical IDE &
> debug, build tools (or graphical front-ends), ...).  You get the
> picture.  Is there a recognized leader out
> there that can provide all of this (Caldera, ...)?  What about
> reviews/comparisons of various bundles?
> Are there any old postings that would be useful?  I really don't want
> to use emacs and rcs (I'm too old
> for that).
>
> Feel free to post responses or send them directly to me if you feel
> this question is a little too green.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Rich Simons
> ENTOS Communications
> entos at mindspring.com

Thats kinda of the beginning of a holy war.  There are various
packages.  Debian, Slackware,
RedHat and such.  I prefer the installation and actual packaging of
slackware.  I am using
RedHat though because it's "Upgradeable" prety easily and won't destroy
my customizations
to RC scripts and such that Slackware seemed to do.  All distributions
I've seen come with
gcc and g++ if you install them.  If you just want to get it up and
running and pay dues in
the future, slackware but if you want something stable that's less
trouble to keep in the
future that has some security holes, redhat...

This is only my opinion though.

Robert

Robert L. Harris             |   If NT is the answer,
System Engineer For Hire.    \_    You don't understand the question.

Email:
  Robert at ast.lmco.com
http://www.orci.com/~nomad

DISCLAIMER:

perl -e 'print
$i=pack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10);'