[ale] Quad-CPU Linux?

Vernard Martin vernard at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Jul 18 17:32:03 EDT 1997

> > Okay, that sounds like the 'Yes' part, what about the 'No' part?
>
> Sorry. Yes it supports 4. No it doesn't even care. Now we never heavily
> loaded it. It did compile the kernel in about 2 minutes though.

Actually, that's not entirely true. When byron wasn't looking I managed to
port an atmospheric model chemical transport code over to it. Normally, we
run the model on a processor SGI Power CHallenge with 12 75Mhz R8000 cpus
in it. The 4 200Mhz pentium pros managed to hold its own against 8 of the
processors in the power challenge. I was mightily impressed.

Vernard Martin, High Performance Parallel Computation and Experimentation Lab
(vernard at cc.gatech.edu) http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~vernard/
College of Computing, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA 30332